Thursday, April 03, 2008

Still got it

I'm weak.

I just finished Bioshock. I played through Portal one more time. I spent a full hour tonight trying to get System Shock 2 to work, without success. I accidentally uninstalled the Call of Duty demo before finishing it and didn't have time to wait for it to download. Lacking any other immediate and available options to get my quick gaming fix, I turned to an old drug: UT2004.

I had been sober since August, but I went back. It was all there, just as I remembered: The three-second load times. The silky-smooth framerates. The rap-heavy background playlist. And the absolute domination of opponents. It's just like riding a bicycle.


I could use Mass Effect or Assassin's Creed right about now.

3 comments:

Bryan said...

Did you see that Assassin's Creed requires a dual-core processor? I think that makes it the first next-gen game that I can run on my console, but not my PC. You know that's just poor optimization on their part. If I can run Oblivion and Bioshock, I should be able to run AC.

Also, having started Mass Effect now, I can say confidently that it would bore you to tears.

Jeremy said...

That's about how I felt when I couldn't run Battlefield 2 because of the pixel shaders needed, even though I could run Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 which all looked *better* than BF2.

I wonder if the multi-core requirement is going to be this gaming generation's equivalent of not offering a software rendering mode.

Kijar said...

See Please Here