Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Merriam-Webster = n00bs

Their word of the year: w00t.
This is dumb, tacky, and outdated. I got my "w00t" shirt in 2002 and only wore it a few times for the same reason, and that was 5 years ago. What's next year's word going to be? "The web?" "Cyber?"

To make it more frustrating, the article misunderstands and misuses the word from the very beginning. It capitalizes the W as if to suggest l33tspeak should follow some grammatical guidelines. It also uses the phrase "expect them to 'w00t.'" Unless I have fallen drastically behind the times, w00t is not acceptable -- at least, certainly not sincerely -- as a verb.

Reminds me of this xkcd.

2 comments:

Bryan said...

I saw the article and thought the same thing.

On a related note, there were some ads for some in-car voice activation thingy in new Fords that had the text "uber-pwn your cell phone". Huh?

Jeremy said...

Does "uber-pwning" something imply that regular pwnage is insufficient? Why would my cell phone need to be so thoroughly dominated? Aren't they designed to do my bidding?