Monday, October 15, 2007

Hi again.

I haven't been updating this very much. Work, obviously, takes up time during the day nowadays. Michigan football has consumed 6 of the last 7 weekends, which is more overwhelming than I thought it would be. I love Ann Arbor and everything, but it takes a lot out of me to drive four hours to a football game and back every weekend. That weekend off was GLORIOUS. And when I'm not at work or football games, I've been enjoying the plentiful bounty of all the video games that have been released lately - Half-Life 2 Episode 2, Portal, Team Fortress 2, and demos of Enemy Territory and UT3. It's been a great month for gaming and the loss of eyesight and free time that results.

Work is going very well in most aspects. The web design is a dream; I get to work with the full Adobe Creative Suite all day redesigning and updating their webpages. I'm learning a different way than usual, too -- I've always though I learned better by deconstructing finished products and recreating them on my own. This time I'm teaching myself from the ground up.

I only have one site finished so far - http://www.deltaplex.com. It's not cutting edge or anything, but it serves its intended purpose. The DP director had a very specific vision for what he wanted (vertical navigation bar, three column design, events at the top, logo on the left, etc) so I was somewhat limited. I will also soon be recording and editing a weekly video show for one of next year's upcoming events at the DeltaPlex arena. This means actually putting the film degree to use. Congratulations, universe, you win.

The IT aspects can be intimidating as it's very much a learn-as-I-go operation. I'm crossing my fingers that nothing catastrophic ever happens to one of the servers, since I don't have as much network maintenance experience as I'd like. However, my bosses know this, and are easing me into the role by still keeping in touch with their outsourced IT company for issues over my head as I grow more comfortable in the role.

Life with Danielle is great as she grows more comfortable with her job, which means less stress for everyone involved. The cat is 75% adorable and 25% excruciating, much of the latter resulting from her new hobby of tugging and chewing on my computer cables. I don't enjoy waking up in the morning to find my iPod and mouse yanked onto the floor.

2 comments:

clifford.mulder said...

Jeremy,

Thanks for the update. I am glad the jobs are going well. Your Mom said you had a blast at U of M's homecoming.

All the best,

Cliff

Agatha said...

Cats are like that. As much as I hate it when my cat scratches at the door at absurd hours of the night for no apparent reason, I wish he lived with me.