Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Life FAQ

Exciting news: On August 16th, I will stop working at my job here, pack up my things that weekend, and move in with Danielle in Grand Rapids. Here are my responses to all the questions I get about it.

Um, what?
I'm leaving my job, moving across the state, and living with my girlfriend.

Why would you do that?
First and foremost, Danielle. A 150 mile commute would be unbearable. Additionally, I need to be closer to my family, particularly mom and Tom, who are facing difficult times regarding Tom's health.

Why so soon?
My lease is up August 16th. I'd like to stick around until I have a new job lined up, but month to month leases are prohibitively and outrageously expensive.

Are you insane?
Probably, but I'm also young, healthy (knock on wood), and versatile enough to be able to pull this off.

What happened to both of you finding jobs here?
That would have been ideal, but there just weren't any for her. Well, there was one, at 50% FTE, so hardly any salary and no benefits. This opportunity opened up over there and it sounded fantastic. It's better for her career to work there than it would be for mine to work here.

What will you do?
Look for jobs, to start. Grand Rapids has a better economy than this side of the state, and with a year of experience now under my belt it becomes that much easier. Just by plugging in terms like Photoshop, digital video, media, web, and production into job search engines, I've already found a half-dozen suitable jobs to apply for.

Where will you live?
We found a nice 2-bedroom apartment at Aspen Lakes, on the northeast side of town. It has a bar in the kitchen, sliding glass doors that overlook a pond, a patio, and central air.

That looks far away from everything.
Yes, the apartment itself is in a residential area. I won't be able to walk everywhere anymore, and I certainly won't live six tenths of a mile from work. Grand Rapids is not Ann Arbor, and that has been tough to face. But, relatively speaking, this place is in a great location. It is:

  • 0.5 miles from an intersection with a bus stop, Walgreen's, gas station, deli, Little Caesars, and video store.
  • 1.5 miles from Danielle's job.
  • 1.5-2 miles from three different highway exits.
  • 1.5 miles from Meijer, a movie theater, a Beaner's, and the Beltline (chain-store-o-rama).
  • 4 miles from downtown.
How can you afford that?
That's not your business, but do understand that the cost of living is glorious in Grand Rapids. The same apartment would cost easily twice as much in Ann Arbor.

What if you hate it?
Then we can leave after a year. I may still decide to go to graduate school anyway.

Will I ever see you again?
But of course! I'm 40 miles closer to Kalamazoo and Chicago than I was before, and I still have my Michigan football tickets (which puts me in Ann Arbor on an outlandish four consecutive weekends in September, and six of the first seven games)

Are you excited or scared?
Absolutely. I have no idea what will happen, but I can't wait to find out.

6 comments:

Bryan said...

Congratulations! I think this is going to be a good move for you. The key, as Jessie will tell you, is not to go insane while you're looking for a job.

The apartments look nice. I see what you mean about the cost of living - it really is half as much for the same square footage as compared to here.

Jeremy said...

Thanks! I think it's a good move too... at least, that's what I'm setting out to prove. If nothing else, it will certainly provide a change of pace.

Like Jessie, I may have to find something part-time to hold me over. I hope her interim job has at least helped to alleviate the insanity and not contribute to it.

Bryan said...

Probably, it has done both. But there are advantages to diversifying the sources of your insanity.

Lyds said...

What's this about me having lapped you in life? ;-)

This is huge! And awesome! Congratulations, and I better be seeing you at the football games!

Agatha said...

That's really awesome for you and Danielle. I figure that you're so talented, you'll be able to find something, and I'm really happy for her that she was able to find a full-time teaching position right out of school, especially considering the availability of teaching positions... I can only cross my fingers and pray that I'll be able to find something that easily, or find something wherever Nick and I move after he graduates.

clifford.mulder said...

Jeremy,

I think this is a great opportunity.

Enjoy!

Cliff